Chronic sinusitis and sinus headaches can have a significant impact on your health and wellbeing. It can be difficult to get on with your usual routine when you’re in pain or suffering from serious congestion. You can also feel very upset and hopeless when it seems that the problem keeps coming back. What can you do to cure sinus problems permanently?
Chronic Sinusitis and Sinus Headaches
Sinusitis happens when the sinuses or cavities around the nasal passages become swollen. The sinuses can become inflamed if you have an infection or because of an allergic reaction. The symptoms usually go away within a couple of weeks, but some people experience longer or recurring sinus infections. If you have chronic sinusitis, you could be dealing with symptoms such as nasal discharge, congestion, and pain or sinus headaches for many months.
Treatment Options for Sinusitis
Most of the treatment options for sinusitis and sinus headaches are intended to give temporary relief from the symptoms when they occur:
- Antibiotics for bacterial infections
- Mediation to reduce the inflammation
- Using a humidifier or nasal spray
- Drinking plenty of fluids
Although these treatments can help, they aren’t always effective for chronic sinusitis and they won’t prevent your symptoms from coming back. If you often suffer from sinus infections or sinus headaches, you might be looking for a more permanent treatment.
Permanent cures for chronic sinusitis and sinus headaches are sometimes possible, but it can depend on the reasons why you are affected.
- If your sinusitis is linked to allergies, then you can try allergy testing to find out the cause and then take steps to avoid the trigger. Although this won’t always be enough to prevent your symptoms from coming back, it can make a big difference.
- If your symptoms are linked to infections, then simple steps such as washing hands regularly and getting a flu shot can reduce the chances you’ll be affected again.
- If there is a physical reason why you are more susceptible to sinusitis, it may be possible to correct it surgically and prevent sinus problems in the future.
Should You Have Sinus Surgery?
Chronic sinus problems can be linked to problems with your nasal passages, such as nasal polyps or a deviated septum. If there is a specific structural issue that is causing your chronic sinusitis or sinus headaches then an ENT specialist may be able to correct it surgically. In order to find out if sinus surgery is a good idea, you’ll need to be assessed by an ENT specialist. The doctor will check that surgery is possible and then discuss the risks and benefits with you in detail. Having the procedure could permanently improve your breathing and prevent sinus problems.