Simple Tricks to Stop Yourself Snoring
If you snore regularly it’s a good idea to see an ENT specialist to find out if there’s a reason why, especially if your breathing seems to be affected. However, there are also a few simple lifestyles changes you can make alongside any treatment for snoring you receive from the doctor.
Easy Ways to Prevent Snoring
Here are a few simple changes you can make to your lifestyle and the way you sleep in order to try to stop snoring:
- Change Your Sleeping Position: getting the right pillow or turning to sleep on your side could make a big difference to your breathing at night.
- Tackle Allergies: if you have an allergy to pollen, dust mites or anything else then eliminating it from your sleeping environment and using a nasal spray could help.
- Don’t Smoke: smoking damages your health in many ways, including by disrupting your sleep and making you more likely to snore.
- Don’t Drink Too Much: indulging in alcohol can make you more likely to snore, especially if you drink a lot or do it before you go to bed, so cutting down could help.
- Lose Any Extra Weight: being overweight can put extra pressure on your airways and increases the risk of sleep apnoea, which can cause serious breathing difficulties at night as well as snoring.
- Sing: it might sound silly, but singing can actually be a great treatment for snoring as it strengthens the muscles in your throat, which can get weaker if we don’t use them regularly.
Seeking Help for Snoring
If you have tried these lifestyle changes and they haven’t helped with your snoring, then it is a good idea to consult a doctor. You might also want to seek help if snoring is having a significant impact on your wellbeing or on your partner’s sleep. You should see a doctor right away if you are gasping or having breathing problems at night or you feel very tired during the day because your sleep is disrupted as these could be signs of sleep apnoea. The doctor may be able to identify an underlying cause or to provide treatment for snoring that can help you to sleep more peacefully.