If you’re regularly struggling with problems that relate to your ears, nose, and throat then you could benefit from seeing an ENT doctor. Whether it’s nosebleeds, ear infections, problems with your hearing, or a ringing in your years, anything that is uncomfortable and persistent is usually going to be deserving of some attention. Below are some very good reasons why you should make an appointment to see an ENT doctor.
- Earwax is an ongoing problem. Earwax is a natural occurrence and is designed to protect your ears. However, if you’ve been using cotton buds or trying to clean this yourself it can become impacted or you may trigger an infection. An ENT doctor can help you deal with the ear wax as well as any infection or damage to the eardrum this has caused.
- You’re struggling with vertigo. This is a condition where, although you’re standing still and, on the ground, you feel like the space around you is spinning. It’s essential to see a specialist to rule out more serious conditions, such as a stroke. An ENT doctor may then diagnose something like Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo or a Vestibular Migraine and provide treatment to help manage the condition.
- Nosebleeds are a regular occurrence. There could be many causes for nosebleeds, from high blood pressure to dry environmental conditions. Treatments can include packing the nose with a sponge or using a humidifier.
- There’s something wrong with your thyroid. An over or under active thyroid, thyroid nodules or an enlarged thyroid are all conditions that an ENT doctor can help you with.
- Your sinuses are inflamed. A runny nose, nasal pressure and sinus inflammation are all signs of rhinosinusitis and rhinitis, an inflammation of the lining of the nose or sinuses. Whether caused by seasonal irritation, such as pollen, or exposure to dust, an ENT doctor can help you identify the cause and a treatment, such as nasal steroid spray, to help you find some relief.
- There is a constant ringing in your ears. Many people have symptoms of tinnitus at some point but it can also be a sign of imminent hearing loss. Tinnitus tends to be a sound created by the brain to make up for a lack of objective input. While it’s not curable there are ways it can be managed with the help of an ENT professional.
- Acid reflux happens often. You could experience this as a chronic sore throat, a hoarse voice or having trouble swallowing intermittently. Acid reflux doesn’t always come with a burning sensation in the throat - where it doesn’t it’s called ‘silent’ acid reflux. Your ENT doctor can examine you to look for signs that stomach acid is traveling up to the throat (this is most likely to happen when you’re horizontal) and help to find ways to ease the discomfort.
Problems with the ears, nose and throat can be very uncomfortable and disrupt your daily life, which is why you should see an ENT doctor if you recognise any of the above.
Harley Street is the UK's foremost private medical centre which is dedicated to providing high-quality care for your ear, nose, throat, head & neck and balance related disorders. Find out more information on how Harley Street ENT can help you here.